Logo Animation: Pick your Software

So you want to create a custom logo animation: you've looked through your different options in my previous post, and decided to use an animation software instead of outsourcing to other services or sites. How do you get started? What software should you use?

Things to Consider: Paid or Open-Source?

When I started my animation project for BioMedware, I was a beginner and had little experience with animation software. Since I couldn't guarantee satisfaction with my end product, I didn't feel comfortable charging the company for a subscription such as Adobe After Effects. I decided to go with an open-source software to get a feel for animation.

On the other hand, if you've had some experience with animation in the past, you may appreciate the security and quality guarantee of a subscription-based software such as Adobe After Effects, with monthly or yearly plans. Typically, monthly prices can range from $10 - $400 for good quality animation, depending on the software used.

Pick your Software

It's important to do your research before picking your animation program; you should know its strengths and limitations, depending on what you will need for your animation. Here are a few programs I considered, as well as the program I ultimately settled on:

Adobe After Effects - $20.99/mo

This is a great software for animation and effects and is good for both beginners and advanced animators. It works with both 2D and 3D elements, and can be used with other adobe products such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. If you're looking for a decently priced, simple to use software, this will work great for you.

Cons: Often used in conjunction with other Adobe Products with separate subscriptions.



Maya (Autodesk) - $225/mo - Free for students

Maya is known for its 3D animation software used for games, effects, and more. It has a steeper price than AAE, but has year-long free trials for students. Since it has a wide variety of tools, learning to use it can be a bit of a curve. This is great for people with some experience and interest in 3D animation.

Cons: best for 3D animation, hard to learn interface.



Blender - Free (Winner)

Blender is a free, open-source animation software that supports the entire animation workflow, including 2D and 3D animation. The user interface can be confusing, but there are some great example videos to get you started. I ultimately chose Blender for my animation because it's free, simpler to learn than Maya, and had some great resources to get me started. Since I didn't need Maya's complex 3D capabilities, or Adobe's varied products, Blender was the best choice for me.


I hope this helped you decide on a software for your animation! Join me next week for more detailed info, such as importing and exporting your logo, creating a storyboard, and more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Get Technical - Wireframing

Trust the Process – Client Meetings and Initial Research